Monday, February 15, 2010

Don't Ask Don't Tell

This news article discusses the recent decision to get rid of the ban on gays in the military and the don't ask don't tell policy in the military. Although I do think that it takes time to implement a new policy, or rather get ride of an existing one, I do disagree with some of the things in the article. For one it discusses "third party outings" and how "service members are kicked out after others report them to be gay". I think that this is way wrong, how can someone else get you kicked out for something you may or may not be. They also discuss how it would be "the biggest upheaval to the military's personnel policies since the 1948 executive order on racial integration". I realize that this is a huge step for the military but I also think that the decision in 1948 was a huge step as well and something that needed to be done. The next part of the article talks about possible backlash. I think that if any member of the military were to backlash against this new change that they would not be focusing on the real issues. Robert Gates's comments make sense but I wonder if he is thinking of the people who are gay in the military or just the people who are against gays in the military when he says, "Stupid was trying to impose a policy from the top without any regard for the views of the people who were going to be affected" However I do agree the fact that their should be an internal review. I really feel that the main issue here is that anyone who is willing to serve their country and put their life on the line should not be kicked out or not allowed to join because they are openly gay. My uncle is in the air force and I know that the thing that keeps him going is the thought of his family. Especially his wife and his children. I cant even imagine being over seas or away from my family and not being able to even say the exist or put of pictures of them, those who serve in the military and who are gay would not be able to do these things. Even though I am not gay and would not choose this for myself, I do feel that people who are have the right to serve our country and not have to hide who they really are. They are Americans just like the rest of the people fighting for us every day, and I think that anyone who has a problem with them being there should offer to take their place.











http://www.statesman.com/news/nation/repeal-of-military-s-don-t-ask-ban-239850.html

No comments:

Post a Comment